I discovered this recipe scribbled down on a post-it note, covered in corrections from the first bunch of times that I made it. I had figured that it was gone forever. I tried making it again, and it came out awesome.
- 1/3 to 2/3 c. Olive oil
- 2 tsp. Cumin (whole)
- 1 tsp. Fenugreek (whole)
- 1 tsp. Red mustard (whole)
- 1/2 tsp. Asafoetida
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. Coriander (finely ground)
- 1 to 1½ c. Onion, minced
- 2/3 c. Red lentils (rinse well)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. Salt
- 5 c. Water or Stock (vegetable or chicken)
- Heat oil over medium heat (5).
- Add the Cumin, Fenugreek, and Red mustard. Sautee until the seeds start to pop.
- Add Asafoetida and Coriander. Mix in well.
- Add Onions. Sautee for ~5 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add Lentils and reduce heat to medium-low (3). Sautee for ~15 minutes, until lentils and onions begin to caramelize.
- Add Cayenne and Salt. Mix in well.
- Add Water or Stock. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a light boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low (3) and simmer for ~60 minutes.